Sunday, September 6, 2015

Freezer Friendly Breakfast Burritos

It's no secret that I am not a morning person!  It takes me a good two hours to wake up properly.  As a mama of three boys, I've had to make some adjustments since they usually want breakfast, a snack, and craft time all before 10:00 a.m.  School starts next week and I'm trying to pre plan some freezer meals to give me my edge, so I thought (light bulb) why not make some freezer meals for breakfast?

I'm a genius.  I should make loads of money for these fantastic ideas!  Okay, it wasn't my idea.  I stumbled upon a yummy breakfast burrito recipe a couple years ago and have made them a handful of times.  My boys love them and miss them.  You see, I was pregnant with our third son last school year, so I did barely anything at all in terms of freezer meals or their beloved breakfast burritos.

These burritos will take about an hour to make, but will save plenty of time on those early school day mornings.  Okay, ready to revive your new favorite breakfast?  Here we go...

Ready to start assembling!

Freezer Friendly Breakfast Burritos 
(adapted from Don't Panic Dinner's in the Freezer)

3 lbs. breakfast sausage
2 bags of frozen cubed potatoes o'brien
8 cups shredded cheddar cheese (cheddar + jack would be good too)
2 dozen eggs
2 cups milk
1 T. ground mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1 28oz. can green chili enchilada sauce
30 flour tortillas
Foil

Directions:
  1. Cook the breakfast sausage in a skillet.  Drain fat.  Set aside.
  2. Cook potatoes o'brien in the oven.  When brown, set on counter to cool.
  3. Shred cheese (or buy it shredded).  
  4. Using a hand mixer, blend eggs, milk, ground mustard, salt, and pepper.  Pour egg mixture in non-stick pan.  I used the same pan as the sausage to reduce the amount of dishes I would later need to wash.  When eggs are scrambled set aside.
  5. Line up ingredients on the counter to create an assembly line.  The order doesn't matter, just make sure tortillas are at the beginning and the green chili sauce and foil is at the end.
  6. Put approximately 1/4 c. sausage, potatoes, and eggs in the middle of a tortilla.  
  7. Sprinkle with cheese.
  8. Pour enchilada sauce over everything (approx. 2T.).
  9. Roll.
  10. Wrap with foil.
  11. Repeat until all ingredients are gone.
  12. Ingredients will make approx. 30 burritos.
  13. Freeze.

To Reheat:
  1. Grab a burrito (or two) from freezer.  
  2. Remove foil.
  3. Place on plate.
  4. Microwave for 1 minute.
  5. Turn over.
  6. Microwave for 1 additional minute.
  7. Enjoy.
This tortilla is ready for filling.
Add 1/4 cup potatoes.
Add 1/4 cup scrambled eggs.
Add 1/4 cup of cooked breakfast sausage.
Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
Pour a little green chili sauce on top.
Not much left after assembly.
30 burritos ready for the freezer!
Confession:  This recipe actually made 31 burritos.
Breakfast is served!

That's easy enough, right?  Give this recipe a try and let me know how it goes in the comments.  What variations did you make?  Did you try different fillings?  Do tell...

Thanks for stopping by!
Leslie-Anne


No comments:

Post a Comment